'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
did gyre and gimble in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
the frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the maxome foe he sought-
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood a while in thought.
As in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came.
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack.
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
"Has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Calloh! Callay!
He chortled in his joy.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
This is Lewis Carroll's poem titled "Jabberwocky", and I think it is the weirdest thing I've ever read. I love Alice in Wonderworld; I have about four different copies kicking around. I also love the original Disney movie (the Cheshire Cat is my favourite). I always loved when he was humming some random tune and he just says, "And the mome raths outgraaaabe!" I dig that part.
So after reading this tidbit of poetry, I can now see where that phrase came from. I can also see that Lewis Carroll was a strange individual. I tend to believe that he was addicted to Opium. I want to try and write some randomness like this, but I don't think it would nearly as interesting. Maybe my last post will be my attempt at some strange, drug-induced haze of a poem.
Oh I love that poem! It's so fun! Actually I really dig those kind of poems, you know the ones you seem through a drug-haze, that don't seem to have a meaning when you look at it for the first time. Just super crazy. I usually tend to write like that, I love it. I can't actually focuse on one theme and then write it down clearly with easy words just the way it is. I need metaphoras and 'heavy' words and senselessness :D
ReplyDeleteAnyways I really dig Alice In Wonderland and I love that poem (even though I don't quite understand all the words, I'll have to look some up lol). XO