Monday, January 17, 2011

My thoughts on the 'new' Zodiac

I am quite interested in astrology and signs of the zodiac. I think it's a fun hobby and you'd be suprised what you can learn about yourself and others. The other night my twitter started to blow up with news of this 13th sign and a new zodiac chart. The new sign is Ophiuchus, or Serpentarius, and it the only 'real man' in the zodiac.
Since Ophiuchus has made his appearence, there has been nothing but chaos errupting from the astrological community. The 13th sign means that all of the other signs have shifted in position. This means that the sun passes through each constellation at a different time of the year. For most people, myself included, this means that the sun is in a different zodiac on your birthday. So, while I was once a Capricorn, I am now considered in this new zodiac to be a Sagittarius. I will include the dates of each sign on this new chart here:

Capricorn: Jan. 20 – Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 – March 11
Pisces: March 11- April 18
Aries: April 18- May 13
Taurus: May 13- June 21
Gemini: June 21- July 20
Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20
So, you see the dilemma: people who have lived their entire lives as a Virgo or an Aquarius are now suddenly informed that they are to consider themselves a Leo or a Cap. For many, this information was of absolutely now consequence to them. But for some, myself included, this new development means a change in their outlook.
Being a resourceful inter-web, I immediately began to research the sign of the archer, wondering if I possessed any of the common Sag traits. I was suprised to find that the characteristics of a Sagittarius fit me almost better than those of the Capricorn. One of my dear friends who lives in Georgia equated this new find to being switched at birth. I agree.
The outrage that the new chart stirred up was undeniable. Many people either did not research their 'new sign' as I did, or automatically dismissed the new chart as malinformed. News began to emerge that this new zodiac alignment only affecting people born after November of 2009. This, it seems, was the backlash of those who wanted to stay the same.
To the best of my knowledge, the Babylonians who created the 12 signs of the Zodiac did indeed know about Ophiuchus, the 13th sign. They, however, ommited to include him on the basis that 12 signs were cleaner and more general. That does not mean that the 13th sign wasn't there, only that he was not included.
Therefore I think it's slightly ridiculous to act as though Ophiuchus emerged from the blackness of the universe sometime in November of '09. 
On the other hand, the universe has undergone so many cosmic shifts that perhaps Ophiuchus did not join the rotation of the other 12 signs until very recently.

I find both sides of this arguement quite tiresome and full of holes. This is why I have deemed myself the first Caprittarius: my way of defying both sides of this debate on the grounds. Because in the end, who the hell knows?


(Balanced Reporting)

1 comment:

  1. Nice work...well researched and interesting to read. I'm now a Cancer!!! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete