Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Definition of a Friend

How do you define friendship? Because sometimes I think we can forget what it really means to be and to have a great friend. I can't think of one person who hasn't been hurt, betrayed or deserted by someone who they thought of as a friend. We all have those friends on Facebook who we never really connected with. Yet they are still our friend.
Personally, I think friendship is unconditional. If a friend's love for you is true, you shouldn't be able to do anything that would make them not love you anymore, right? I mean, that's how it is with or pets, and our family members. Your cat doesn't care if you haven't showered yet, or if you've had a bad day and are grouchy. They love you all the same. Your mother doesn't hold a past arguement over your head forever to make you feel awful. These are unconditional friendships, and these are the ones that really last.

I have lots of friends. Friends from work, school, YouTube, and friends from my years ago that I still see once in a blue moon. It may sound bizarre, but I've never even met some of my best friends. Take my friends Kimi and Algie. I met them both through YouTube (we all make videos). They both live in Decatur, Georgia; and I would do anything for either of them if they needed me. Johanna is another example. She lives just outside of Berlin in Germany. The closest we've gotten to meeting is video-chatting on Skype, and sending each other huge long emails and the occasional care package. She is someone who will listen to me when I'm feeling crappy, and not just because I'm sitting next to her and she has to. She really cares, even though she lives half way around the world. It would be so easy for her to just shut me out. It's not like I can really touch her, you know? But still, she wants to listen and to talk. Unconditionally. That's what a true friend is to me.




(Opinion: Personal)

No comments:

Post a Comment