Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A persuasive piece on why you shouldn't go to university.

Ever since we were little, we've been pushed to create and achieve our goals. We've been conditioned to aim high and try our best. I agree that we should all try our hardest, in every aspect of our lives. However; when it comes to school, I am of the opinion that unless you are going to become a doctor, lawyer or any other profession equivalent to them, you should not go to university.

Believe me, when I was younger I felt that university was the be-all end-all of post secondary education. I used to want to be a biochemist for Christ's sake. But the older I get, the more I've realized that there are so many more practical ways to become educated and establish a good job for yourself.

Personally, I think college or an alternative academy or institute would suit most everyones needs much better than a university. While it is very important to be educated past high school, it is NOT essential to be in post-secondary education for years upon years for a "Visual Arts" BA or a Master's in English. Your options are so limited after schooling in those areas. Teaching is the popular scape-goat it seems, but look around. How many young, fresh out of school teachers are flipping burgers or waiting tables? The teaching workforce is full of people who aren't yet able to retire, and the open spots for new teachers is limited. It's sad thinking that someone so intelligent is left in the dust in this day and age. Despite all of their accomplishments and degrees, they are utterly unable to get a job.

Isn't that the whole point of getting a post-secondary education? Getting a good job? Something you'll love and excel at? I think so. And that's why I see colleges and other institutes as a better place for most students. I see it as less time spent in classrooms and lecture halls, less money spent and a fast-track to getting where you want to be. It seems like an obvious solution to this problem.

So I urge you to reconsider whether or not university is really the right place for you. Of course it's necessary for doctors and lawyers. But for anyone else, think of where you want to be after university. Then consider if perhaps a college setting may get you there faster and in better shape.


(Persuasive Piece)

No comments:

Post a Comment