Wednesday, January 19, 2011

On how much I hate the statement, "Women wear make-up for Men."

Oh boy, don't even get me started. I hate this statement.

Make-up can indeed be seen and used as a corrective material. There is nothing wrong with covering your imperfections or enhancing your best features. I think that whatever you can do to make yourself feel more confident and love yourself more, do it. But do it for you, not because you feel like you have to.

For me, make-up isn't a form of self-correction, but rather self-expression. I show my mood and my creativity through by what I do on my eyes, or my face. It's one way for me to show my talent and my personality. Putting make-up on in the morning is one of my favourite parts of my day. I get to sit down and experiment with new colour combinations or shapes or shadings. I am blank canvas everyday. It's wonderful.

But anyone who thinks for one second that I wear make-up because I think I have to in order to impress men (or anyone else for that matter) is sorely mistaken. I do not wear make-up because I think I look ugly without it. I wear make-up because it's a form of art to me, and it's an easy way for me to express myself daily. I have no problem going out without make-up. The day before yesterday I put my naked face on YouTube because I was too lazy to doll myself up for a three minute video. Today I didn't wear any make-up to school because I felt like going bare.

I'm sure that there are some women who wear make-up everyday because they think they look funny or ugly without it. But even then, that is their prerogative. Men (and women) who are pretentious enough to believe that all women wear make-up for the sake of the opposite sex should re-evalute their opinion. Because I know a whole lot of women who are confident with or without their face on; and who will be ready to jump on anyone who questions their make-up motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment