Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Affinity with Cats

Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved cats. In my 18 years of life, I have never had a pet that wasn't a cat. I got Cloudy, my first girl cat, when I was about 7 or 8. After that, I had Cocoa, another girl cat who we had until I was about 10. Now, I have two boy cats, Teddy and Tiger. But my love of cats is more than just a pet/owner deal. I feel like the cat is my spirit animal (if you believe in such things).

As you've probably established by now, I love anything comic book superhero/supervillian related. My number one character from any comic book or comic book movie ever in history is Catwoman. Her whole independent female anti-hero story is absolutely captivating to me. Whether it's the 1980's Catwoman clothed in purple and green or the Michelle Pfeiffer latex coated Cat, I'm in love. I remember watching Batman Returns for the first time. I must have been only 6 or so, since I was still going to my old babysitter's (the very place I first witnessed the Bat and the Cat). The day that I went home after watching it, I called my brother a 'bastard'. I had no idea what it meant, I just knew that Catwoman grumbled it under her breath after Batman pushed her off a building. Needless to say, I got in big trouble (soap doesn't taste very good....) lol

The union of women and cats is something that I don't think I'll ever quite get over. This is definitely the main reason why I'm getting a comic book style Catwoman graphic tattooed on my forearm. Of all the 'cool' tattoo ideas that I've had, that's the one that I feel would stay with me. I mean, most things that fascinate us as children quickly become either boring or routine as we mature. The fact that the Catwoman has stayed with me all these years makes me trust in myself, even when my Dad says I'll hate it when I'm older.

I think that the older I get, the more I will appreciate the symbolism behind the cat-woman. She's fierce and independent, yet also nurturing and docile when she wants to be. You can have her, but you'll never own her.

"My world is just shades of gray, Batman. That's why you'll never really understand me." ~Catwoman

1 comment:

  1. Great post Julia...you definitely understand the concept of blogging...and have found your voice.

    ReplyDelete