Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Slanderers do not hurt me because they do not hit me." ~Socrates

I like this quote a lot. It showed up yesterday in my feed on Twitter, and it really made me feel something. I think that's what all good quotes are supposed to do. In all of our walks of life, there are going to be people who we don't get along and people who just plain don't like us. And sometimes it can be very hard to accept that no matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone.

I feel especially drawn to this quote because of the YouTube videos that I do in my spare time. Putting yourself out there on the internet is quite frightening. Again, some people (strangers for the most part) aren't going to like to work you're doing. Some strangers, aptly named 'trolls', don't really like anybody, and merely cut people down for entertainments sake. It hurts when an anonymous person is trying to lower your self-esteem from a computer screen for no particular reason. But that's the hard lesson; they are just some anonymous person. In the grand scheme of your life, they aren't even a blip on the radar. In the here and now, you feel hurt and wonder why? What did I do to deserve this?

The answer is nothing. That person that is trying to bring you down and throw shadows onto your light is dealing with their own demons. You possess something that they wish they had, and instead of being proactive and looking into themselves for answers and guidance, they are lashing out in anger. Their hatred has nothing to do with you, but is a self-reflection onto themselves.

In the end, you just need to sit back and realize that you can't please everyone. As long as you are being yourself and are comfortable in your own skin, the rest will follow.

"Slanderers do no hurt me because they do not hit me." ~Socrates

2 comments:

  1. Very wise...you'll go far in this strange, cruel world Julia! Wish everyone saw the world in a similar manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent. I've bookmarked for later use, thank you for the wise words.

    ReplyDelete